- October 25, 2019 (CLOSED)
- 8:45 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- 5 Core Continuing Education Clock Hours
- Location: DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta - Marietta (2055 South Park Place, Atlanta, GA 30339)
- Investment: $115 before October 11, $130 after
Presented by: Reid Wilson, Ph.D.
REID WILSON, PhD, a licensed psychologist who directs the Anxiety Disorders Treatment Center in Chapel Hill, NC. He is author of the newly-released Stopping the Noise in Your Head and the classic self-help book Don't Panic. He is co-author, with Edna Foa, of Stop Obsessing!, as well as Anxious Kids, Anxious Parents and Playing with Anxiety with Lynn Lyons. He designed American Airlines' first national program for the fearful flier and currently serves as the expert on anxiety for WebMD’s Mental Health Community. He is a Founding Clinical Fellow of the Anxiety and Depression Association of America (ADAA) and Fellow of the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies (ABCT). In 2014 he received ADAA’s highest award, and received the 2019 Service Award by the International OCD Foundation. He has appeared on The Oprah Winfrey Show, Good Morning America, CNN, The Katie Show, A&E’s Hoarders, and MTV’s True Life. His free self-help website – www.anxieties.com – serves 1.6 million visitors per year. His newest self-help course can be found on http://noiseinyourhead.com/
When it comes to treating anxiety, growing evidence shows that the quickest, most effective approach involves ramping up fears while welcoming the experience. Join internationally recognized anxiety disorders treatment expert and author, Reid Wilson, PhD, for this cutting-edge seminar and start helping your clients stop the noise and change the way they relate to their anxieties. You will learn how to rapidly engage anxious clients in the therapeutic alliance and then help them shift their relationship with their fears and override the responses that perpetuate them. You’ll explore paradoxical strategies to help clients transform their anxieties and worries from intimidating threats into challenges that they can meet and conquer. The goal is to persuade clients to adopt a self-help protocol to voluntarily, purposely and aggressively seek out uncertainty moment-by-moment.
- Challenge the dominance of anxiety!
- Implement simple paradoxical strategies
- Teach clients to seek out anxiety and uncertainty
- Instruct a client in logically dismantling the common dysfunctional frames of reference of an anxiety disorder or OCD.
- Reframe a new, internally-consistent paradoxical frame of reference.
- Demonstrate how to activate the therapeutic strategy moment-by-moment within threatening situations.
- Integrate both motivational and instructional self-talk cues to enhance exposure.
- Identify the benefits of an intervention which is arousal congruent.
- Explain how to activate “approach” emotions toward anxious uncertainty during exposure.
- 8:15 - 8:45 Registration (Coffee, Tea, and Granola Bars Served)
- 8:45 - 10:15 Welcome and Morning Session
- 10:15 - 10:30 Break
- 10:30 - 11:45 Morning Session (Cont.)
- 11:45 - 1:00 Lunch Break (Lunch is on Your Own)
- 1:00 - 2:00 Afternoon Session
- 2:00 - 2:15 Break
- 2:15 - 3:30 Afternoon Session (Cont.)
- 3:30 - 3:45 Continuing Education Certificates Distributed
5 Core CE Clock Hours by:
- APA: The Anxiety & Stress Management Institute (ASMI) is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. ASMI maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- NBCC: The Anxiety & Stress Management Institute has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6502. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. The Anxiety & Stress Management Institute is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- SWs: This workshop is approved for 5 core hours through the Georgia Society for Clinical Social Work.
- MFTs: This workshop is approved for 5 core hours through the Georgia Association for Marriage and Family Therapy.
Paying with Credit Card?
Paying by Cash or Check?
For information about our Continuing Education Workshops, please contact our Continuing Education
Workshop Coordinator at:
770.953.0080 Ext. 333