- To Be Announced
- 9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. each day
- 12 Core Continuing Education Clock Hours
- Location: TBD
- Investment: $295 before TBA, $315 after
Presented by: Becky Beaton, Ph.D., (For more info: www.DrBeckyBeaton.com)
Dr. Becky Beaton has specialized in treating anxiety, trauma, and obsessive compulsive spectrum disorders for over 28 years. She is the Founder and Clinical Director of The Anxiety & Stress Management Institute in Atlanta and the Co-Founder of OCD Georgia. You may have seen her on TLC's "Hoarding: Buried Alive" as the treating psychologist on over 60 episodes. Dr. Beaton has also made appearances on The Anderson Cooper Show, Good Morning America, The Meredith Vieira Show, and CNN Headline News. In 2005, Dr. Beaton was voted Counselor Educator of the Year and in 2015 she received the Lifetime Achievement Award both by the Licensed Professional Counselor's Association of Georgia. She has taught hundreds of workshops both nationally and internationally, and she has also taught as an adjunct professor for both Georgia State and Emory Universities. Dr. Beaton is known for her unusual combination of being extremely knowledgeable & scientific yet down-to-earth & easy to understand, while also being playful and humorous. Not only will you learn a ton, you'll have fun doing so.
If you see individuals with anxiety and/or OCD, this workshop is a must. Current research regarding anxiety and OCD has dramatically changed the treatment paradigms for these disorders over the past couple of decades and particularly the last five years with Dr. Michelle Craske's research on Inhibitory Learning and other cutting edge research on Memory Reconsolidation.
We will review very specific and tailored treatments to be utilized with specific OCD presentations and specific anxiety diagnoses. For example, we will discuss the application of Exposure and Response Prevention (ERP) in the treatment of obsessive-compulsive disorders and Downward Arrow Exposure in generalized anxiety disorder as well as why this approach is the gold standard and mandatory in order to achieve long-term benefits from treatment. On the other hand, Interoceptive Exposure is the gold standard for panic disorder. Additionally, many of the anxiety and OC spectrum disorders have unique response system cycles, which also need to be addressed, particularly when the compulsions are entirely mental. This workshop will be experiential and comprehensive, and participants should walk away with several new approaches that they can use immediately with their clients in order to facilitate maximum treatment potential with the most up-to date treatment modalities.
- Compare the eight major anxiety disorders and the five major OC spectrum disorders as well as the most effective treatment approaches for each diagnosis according to the latest findings.
- Review the importance of leaning into anxiety as opposed to trying to relax it away.
- Discuss cutting edge research on inhibitory learning and memory reconsolidation and how to apply this information to the treatment of anxiety and OCD in order to create lasting change.
- Discuss why older techniques such as “thought-stopping” are merely neutralizers and no longer considered treatment.
- Explain the tenets of successful Exposure and Response Prevention (ERP), the gold standard in the treatment of OCD as well as anxiety.
- Apply ERP principles using "scripting" to mental OCD, which was previously termed "Pure O," which we now know is inaccurate.
- Explore the common therapeutic errors in ERP (ineffective handling of mental compulsions, providing reassurance, relaxation, distraction, dissociation, etc.).
- Demonstrate how to lean into anxiety and increase courage and motivation via live demonstration and video clips.
- Discuss utilizing mindfulness and ACT to enhance exposure.
- Demonstrate exposure techniques such as Downward Arrow (excellent for any kind of "what if" rumination) and Interoceptive Exposure (the Gold Standard for Panic Disorder).
- Apply learning through experiential practice exercises in order to facilitate learning and prepare the therapist to successfully utilize skills from this workshop immediately.
Agenda (Both Days):
- 8:30 - 9:00 Registration (Coffee, Tea, and Granola Bars Served)
- 9:00 - 10:30 Welcome and Morning Session
- 10:30 - 10:45 Break
- 10:45 - 12:15 Morning Session (Cont.)
- 12:15 - 1:15 Lunch Break (Lunch is on Your Own)
- 1:15 - 2:45 Afternoon Session
- 2:45 - 3:00 Break
- 3:00 - 4:30 Afternoon Session (Cont.)
- 4:30 - 4:45 Continuing Education Certificates Distributed (2nd Day)
What people are saying about this workshop:
- "So comprehensive. I had no idea how behind I was in treating anxiety. This should be a mandatory class in every training program." B.D.
- "I love Dr. B.'s humor and candor. She's so knowledgeable and yet so relatable" - R.R.
- "This was the best workshop I've take in 20 years of practice!!" - E.V.
- "Excellent training, well-organized, thorough, entertaining, practical" - A.S.
- "So far this was the most enjoyable activity. I truly enjoyed the live presentation of the techniques. Helped my understanding of application." - N.H.
- "Definitely was brought up to date on the gold standard of care for anxiety disorders." - G.F.
- "I flew in from Florida - totally worth my time and money!" - M.E.
- "One of the most interesting and immediately useful workshops I've ever attended!" - P.O.
12 Core CE Clock Hours:
- Psychologists: The Anxiety & Stress Management Institute (ASMI) is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. ASMI maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Counselors: The Anxiety & Stress Management Institute has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6502. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. The Anxiety & Stress Management Institute is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- Social Workers: This workshop is approved for 12 core continuing education hours for social workers by the Georgia Society for Clinical Social Work.
- Marriage and Family Therapists: This workshop is approved for 12 core CE hours through the Georgia Association for Marriage and Family Therapy.
Paying with Credit Card?
Paying by Cash or Check?
For information about our Continuing Education Workshops, please contact our Continuing Education
Workshop Coordinator at:
770.953.0080 Ext. 333