(The Ethics of Multiple Relationships, Competency, & Social Media)
- To Be Announced
- 9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- 6 Ethics or Core Continuing Education Clock Hours
- Location: TBD
- Investment: $135 before TBA, $155 after
Presented by: Becky Beaton, Ph.D. (www.DrBeckyBeaton.com)
Dr. Beaton has been on the Georgia Psychological Association's Ethics Committee for seven years and Ethics Chair since July 2014. You may have seen her on one of the 60 episodes that she filmed as the featured psychologist on TLC's "Hoarding: Buried Alive." She has also made recent appearances on The Anderson Cooper Show, Good Morning America, and CNN Headline News. Additionally, Dr. Beaton is the Founder and Clinical Director of The Anxiety & Stress Management Institute in Atlanta, and she has served as Adjunct Faculty for both Emory and Georgia State Universities. She is also the Co-Founder of OCD Georgia. As far as ethics are concerned, Dr. Beaton was the Ethics Chair for the Licensed Professional Counselor’s Association of Georgia (LPCA-GA) for two years, and she has been on the Georgia Psychological Association’s Ethics Committee for the past seven years and serving as Ethics Chair for the past four of those years. In 2005, Dr. Beaton is most well known for her down-to-earth, humorous presentation style that is practical, well-researched, and fun at the same time.
Sex - and other multiple relationships:
- Assess the inherent complications of multiple relationships with clients and summarize strategies to handle frequently encountered issues.
- Explain the importance of a signed "Collateral Contact Informed Consent" when working with family members, partners, or friends other than the identified patient.
Lies - and other ways therapists may misrepresent themselves:
- Discuss the requirements of "competency" and the principles of "standard of care."
- Evaluate the guidelines of ethical marketing.
- Summarize the essentials of clinical documentation and how to accurately represent the therapeutic process, beginning with a solid Informed Consent and Practice Policies through termination.
- Discuss the ethical considerations of Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Google searches.
- Demonstrate the importance of educating your clients about your policies regarding social media.
- Explain the HIPAA Security Ruling as it pertains to Electronic Protected Health Information (EPHI) and what you need to know about protecting your electronic transactions.
- Explain what constitutes "Telemental Health" (note: even therapy via telephone is classified as telemental health).
- Assess the dangers of practicing across state lines and the options available to do so legally.
- Discuss HIPAA compatible online video platforms.
- Summarize what you need to include in your Informed Consent to Treatment if you're practicing telemental health
Note: This workshop satisfies 2 of the legally required telemental health CE clock hours for Masters-level therapists. This workshop fulfills the ethical telemental health requirement for psychologists (there is no legal requirement for psychologists).
- 8:30 - 9:00 Registration (Coffee, Tea, and Granola Bars Served)
- 9:00 - 10:30 Welcome and Morning Session
- 10:30 - 10:45 Break
- 10:45 - 12:15 Morning Session (Cont.)
- 12:15 - 1:15 Lunch Break (Lunch is on Your Own)
- 1:15 - 2:45 Afternoon Session
- 2:45 - 3:00 Break
- 3:00 - 4:30 Afternoon Session (Cont.)
- 4:30 - 4:45 Continuing Education Certificates Distributed
What people are saying about this workshop:
- "Very current info! Presenter was wonderful; an entertaining and informative way to meet your ethics requirement." - S.O.
- "Very informative, not a dull moment. A must attend." - B.W.
- "Dr. Beaton was excellent! Far exceeded my expectations for an Ethics workshop. Valuable, current information delivered in a relaxed, humorous and yet professional way." - E.D.
6 Ethics or Core CE Clock Hours by:
- Psychologists: The Anxiety & Stress Management Institute (ASMI) is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. ASMI maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Counselors: The Anxiety & Stress Management Institute has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6502. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. The Anxiety & Stress Management Institute is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- Social Workers: This workshop is approved for six ethics or core continuing education hours for social workers.
- MFTs: This workshop is approved for six ethics or core continuing education hours for marriage and family therapists
Paying with Credit Card?
Paying by Cash or Check?
For information about our Continuing Education Workshops, please contact our Continuing Education
Workshop Coordinator at:
770.953.0080 Ext. 333