- To Be Announced
- 9:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- 5 Core Continuing Education Clock Hours (Related Hours for SWs and MFTs)
Presented by: Courtney Armstrong, LPC/MHSP, NCC
Courtney Armstrong is the author of the book Transforming Traumatic Grief and owns a successful counseling practice in Chattanooga, Tennessee. She has taught innovative treatments for healing trauma and grief to hundreds of mental health professionals nationwide. Not only does Courtney give participants creative tools that work, but she also provides them with relevant insights from neuroscience and clinical research. View a free preview of one of Courtney’s trainings by visiting her website: http://www.courtneyarmstronglpc.com.
Grief after the sudden or violent death of a loved one can be complicated, prolonged, and resistant to the usual therapy interventions. Furthermore unresolved trauma and grief can lead to major depression, substance abuse, and anxiety disorders. This workshop will present evidenced-based tools and hypnosis techniques that treat traumatic grief briefly, compassionately, and effectively. Participants will learn neuroscience implications for treating traumatic grief, and new diagnostic categories for trauma and grief related adjustment disorders proposed for the DSM-5. Video demonstrations of a homicide and suicide survivors, a war veteran, and tornado survivor will be included so therapists learn how to immediately apply the model in their practices.
- Describe 2 recent research discoveries from the science of loss.
- List 4 criteria of the proposed diagnosis of Bereavement Related Adjustment Disorder.
- Discuss 2 empirically validated models for treating traumatic grief.
- Explain neuroscience findings regarding traumatic memory and the implications for treatment of trauma and grief.
- 8:30 – 9:00 Registration (Coffee, Tea, and Granola Bars Served)
- 9:00 – 10:30 Welcome and Morning Session
- 10:30 – 10:45 Break
- 10:45 – 12:00 Morning Session (Cont.)
- 12:00 – 1:00 Lunch Break (Lunch is on Your Own)
- 1:00 – 2:00 Afternoon Session
- 2:00 – 2:15 Break
- 2:15 – 3:30 Afternoon Session (Cont.)
- 3:30 – 3:45 Continuing Education Certificates Distributed
5 Core CE Clock Hours by:
- APA: The Anxiety & Stress Management Institute (ASMI) is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. ASMI maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- NBCC: The Anxiety & Stress Management Institute has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6502. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. The Anxiety & Stress Management Institute is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- NASW: Related hours.
- MFTs: Related hours.